my blog : because who has peas for a shrink?

10 Mar 2009

Music Videos Pulled from Youtube

This morning I was 'having a Kiss breakfast' with Ricky and Melvin when their 'news set' [what is that actually called?] announced that by the end of the week UK YouTube users would not be able to watch any Music Videos. My face looked like this:



"YouTube in the UK is to be stripped of its most popular music videos after the site failed to agree a new licensing deal with the Performing Rights Society for Music, the trade body that collects music royalties.

YouTube said today that after the expiry of its former deal, PRS had proposed new payment terms that would be financially prohibitive for the site and would require YouTube to pay out more than it makes from the ads next to each video."


What a blow. [No, not Wha' Blo.] What a blow. YouTube is a muchos powerful form of promotion for any music artist. A lot of a music artists' revenue comes from Live Performances; and music videos posted on websites like YouTube can act as a catalyst to get consumers to buy tickets to gigs... and if they don't, it's publicity at the end of the day. I'm not too sure how this will affect indie artists - hopefully not in such a bad way.

I think a lot of blogs will suffer from this as well, although there are many other sites to videos from; how legal these are: I know not.

Anyways, I don't want to go to deep, this blog is for light reading! Read the article here and have your own say. I'll end by quoting a comment that someone left on the article, which is quite good me thinks.

"So the PRS is "shocked and disappointed" to find that the loaded gun they are holding is in fact pointing at their own foot instead of YouTube's head."

Easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment